RESEARCH INTERESTS: Language Acquisition, Processing & Development
PhD. Cognitive Sciences (expected 2017)
M.A. in Cognitive Sciences, Ecole Normale Supérieure - Paris, 2014
B.A. in Linguistics/Education, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, 2011
- de Carvalho, A., Lidz, J., Tieu, L., Bleam, T., & Christophe, A. (2016). English-speaking preschoolers can use phrasal prosody for syntactic parsing. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 139(6), EL216-EL222 (.pdf)
- Brusini, P., Dehaene-Lambertz, G., van Heugten, M., de Carvalho, A., Goffinet, F., Fiévet, A-C., & Christophe, A. Ambiguous function words do not prevent 18-month-olds from building accurate syntactic category expectations: An ERP study (in press). Neuropsychologia. (link)
* (in press, submitted)
- de Carvalho, A., He, A. X., Lidz, J., & Christophe, A. Prosody guides babies in the discovery of word meanings (submitted).
- de Carvalho, A., Barrault, A., & Christophe, A. "Look! It is not a bamoule!" 18-month-olds understand negative sentences (submitted).
- de Carvalho, A., Dautriche, I., Millotte, S., & Christophe, A. Early perception of phrasal prosody and its role in syntactic and lexical acquisition. In P. Prieto, N. Esteve-Gibert. Prosodic Development in First Language Acquisition. John Benjamins (TILAR Series) (in press).
- Brusini, P., de Carvalho, A., Dautriche, I., Gutman, A., Cauvet, E., Millotte, S. & Christophe, A. Bootstrapping lexical and syntactic acquisition. In M. Kail, M. Hickman & E. Veneziano, Sources of variations in first language acquisition: Languages, contexts, and learners. John Benjamins. (in press).
- 20th biennial meeting of the International Congress on Infant Studies
The acquisition of word meanings: interactions between parsing and learning. New Orleans, LA - USA; May, 2016
- 40th Boston University Conference on Language Development
18-month-olds use the relationship between prosodic and syntactic structures to constrain the meaning of novel words. Boston, MA - USA; November, 2015
- 12th Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition (GALA 12)
Workshop: The role of prosody in early speech perception
Phrasal prosody helps infants to access the syntactic structure of sentences and to constrain the acquisition of novel word meanings. Nantes - FRANCE; September, 2015
- 39th Boston University Conference on Language Development
Phrasal prosody constrains online syntactic analysis in two-year-old children. Boston, MA - USA; November, 2014
- 20th AMLaP Conference
Toddlers exploit prosodic structure online to constrain syntactic analysis. Edinburgh, UK, September, 2014.
- 38th Boston University Conference on Language Development
Three-year-olds use prosody online to constrain syntactic analysis. Boston, MA - USA; November, 2013
- Common Ground Seminar Series, University of Pennsylvania (USA)
Phrasal prosody can guide babies in the discovery of syntax and word meanings. Philadelphia, MD - USA; October, 2016
- Language Acquisition Lab (Cindy Fisher's Lab), University of Illinois (USA)
The acquisition of word meanings: interactions between parsing and learning. Champaign, IL - USA; July, 2015
- Linguistics Departmental seminar, University of Maryland (USA)
Infants can use morpho-syntactic cues and phrasal prosody to learn word meanings. College Park, MD - USA; November, 2015
- Project on Child Development Laboratory (Sandy Waxman's Lab), Northwestern University (USA)
Bootstrapping early lexical and syntactic acquisition. Evanston, IL - USA; July, 2015
- Perspectives on Language Development Symposium
Computing a syntactic skeleton with phrasal prosody and function words. Nijmegen - Netherlands; October, 2014.
- II International Conference of the School of Languages and Literatures - CIFALE
The Cognitive Development of Infants. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Septembre, 2013.
2016-2017: Language Acquisition and Processing – 32h
@ École Normale Supérieure - Paris, France: for graduate students from the Cognitive Science program (COGMASTER Research Master in Cognitive Science) with Alejandrina Cristia & Christina Bergmann
2016-2017: Practical Workshop in Human Experimentation – 32h
@ École Normale Supérieure – Paris, France: for graduate students from the Cognitive Science program (COGMASTER Research Master in Cognitive Science) with Brent Strickland
2015-2016: Language Acquisition and Processing - 32h
@ Ecole Normale Supérieure - Paris, France: for graduate students from the Cognitive Science program (COGMASTER Research Master in Cognitive Science) with Alejandrina Cristia & Henny Yeung
2014-2015: Cogmaster Workshop: "Biaises in Research" - Journée d'études du Cogmaster: "Le biais de l'expérimentateur" - 12h
@ Ecole Normale Supérieure: for graduate students from the Cognitive Science program
(with Alejandrina Cristia & Emmanuel Dupoux)
2014-2015: Tools for Linguistic transcription and analysis - 17h
@ Université Paris Descartes - Sorbonne Paris Cité : for graduate students from the Linguistics program
(Sciences du Langage: signes, discours et monde contemporain)
Summer 2013: Advanced Topics in Language Acquisition - 39h
@ UFRJ - Federal University of Rio de Janeiro : for graduate students from the Experimental linguistics program (POSLING)
2010 - 2011: Portuguese Language - 144h
@ Université Michel de Montaigne, Bordeaux III (France)
2010-2011: Portuguese & Brazilian language, culture and civilization - 336h
@ Lycée François Magendie, Lycée de Graves, Collège Julles Ferry (Bordeaux - France)